Benefits and Tax Credits

Benefits and Tax Credits are payments which can provide financial support for those on low incomes or to meet specific needs such as childcare, disabilities or illness.

Check eligibility for benefits from UK Government

To claim benefits and tax credits, you first need to check what you are eligible for. This can be tricky, so it’s best to use an online benefit checker. 

If you're already claiming benefits, using a benefit checker can help you check you're getting everything you're entitled to.

Use the Turn2Us benefit calculator to check your entitlement to benefits and tax credits (Benefits paid by Social Security Scotland are not included in this calculator). If you are under 18, the best option will be Policy in Practice benefit checker.

Turn2Us benefits calculator
(opens in new window)
Policy in Practice benefit checker
(opens in new window)

Please Note

Benefit checkers can take some time to complete. You have the option to Save Your Progress and return at a later date, although with Policy in Practice, you have to register to do this.

You'll need the following information before you use the calculator:

  • Details of everyone living in your household - including their age and employment status
  • Details of all household income - such as payslips, benefits you're already getting and any other income
  • Pension and savings information - including any savings or investments you have
  • Childcare costs
  • Your annual council tax bill - and any discounts, reductions and exemptions you have
  • Details of household costs - such as rent or mortgage payments

Check eligibility for benefits from Scottish Government

If you live in Scotland, you might be entitled to more benefits. These benefits are paid by Social Security Scotland. 

You can read more about the available benefits on the Social Security Scotland's website. 

The best way to check what benefits you might be able to get from both Scottish and UK governments is to use  entitledto's Benefit Checker. You can use this checker, even if you are under 18. 

Social Security Scotland's Benefits and Grants
(opens in new window)
entitledto Benefit Checker
(opens in new window)

Change how Universal Credit is paid

In Scotland, you can change the way your Universal Credit claim is paid.  You can ask for payments to be split into two payments a month or have some of it paid directly to your landlord. More information can be found here including how to request either or both of these payment options.

Universal Credit payment options on Citizens Advice website
(opens in new window)

Please Note

You can read more on different benefits and tax credits available by visiting our online advice pages.

If you're unsure or need more help with making a claim for Universal Credit, you can contact our Help to Claim Team on 0800 023 2581 available Monday to Friday 8am to 6pm. Or you can visit your local Citizens Advice Bureau for help with claiming benefits or Universal Credit.

If your claim is rejected or you don’t agree with the decision, our specialist advisers might be able to help you to challenge the decision. It is important to contact your local Citizens Advice Bureau for support as soon as possible.

On top of benefits and tax credits, you might be entitled to grants from the Scottish Government, your local council or charities. See our Grants section for more information.