This section is quite lengthy in parts. Please take time to read through all sections to find the best suitable support with your energy bills. 

Help with your energy bills

If you're struggling to pay your energy bills, you might be eligible for certain grants and support from energy suppliers or the government.

Apply for a Warm Home Discount

A Warm Home Discount can provide you with a payment of £140 towards your electricity bill. 

This scheme for winter 2020-2021 is now closed. 

The scheme for winter 2021-2022 will open on 18 October 2021

The money is not paid directly to you, it's applied as an one-off discount on your electricity bill, between September and March.

Not all energy suppliers are part of the scheme. Check "Warm Home Discount" link below if your energy supplier offers the scheme. If you're unsure who your supplier is, you can use the Find My Supplier tool.

Warm Home Discount Scheme
(opens in new window)
Find my Supplier
(opens in new window)

Apply for an Energy Grant

Energy grants might be available from your energy supplier to help with gas and electricity debts. Energy suppliers might also provide other grants and support, such as replacing faulty household items.

Most energy suppliers only offer grants specifically to their customers and these are listed below.

The only exception is the British Gas Energy Trust which offer grants and schemes to anyone, even if you're not a customer.

Please note, you'll need to show that you have received debt advice to apply for an energy grant. You can get debt advice from your local Citizens Advice Bureau.

Npower Energy Fund
(opens in new window)
Scottish Power Hardship Fund
(opens in new window)
Ovo Energy Fund
(opens in new window)
Eon Energy Fund
(opens in new window)
EDF Energy Customer Support Fund
(opens in new window)
Bulb Energy Fund
(opens in new window)
British Gas Energy Trust
(opens in new window)

Check if you are eligible for a winter fuel payment

If you were born before 5th October 1954 and get State Pension or certain benefits, you might be eligible for a payment between £100 and £300. This will eventually be replaced by Winter Heating Assistance for Scottish residents when it is transferred to the Scottish Government.

GOV.UK has all the details on eligibility and how to claim.

Please note that the deadline to make a claim for winter 2020 to 2021 has now passed but will re-open later in the year for winter 2021 to 2022.

Winter Fuel Payments
(opens in new window)

Check if you are eligible for a cold weather payment

Automatic one-off payments of £25 for people on certain benefits during very cold weather to help with extra heating costs.  The average temperature must be recorded at 0 degrees (centigrade) or below for 7 days in a row. These payments will eventually be replaced by Cold Spell Heating Payments for Scottish Residents when they are transferred to the Scottish Government.

Please note that the Cold Weather Scheme for  winter 2020 to 2021 is now closed but will re-open again from 1st November 2021 to 31st March 2022. 

Cold Weather Payments
(opens in new window)

Worried about Energy Bills

Contact Citizens Advice Consumer Helpline

If you are worried about paying for your energy bills, having problems paying your bills or think they are wrong, you can get help with billing issues from the Citizens Advice Consumer Helpline

Even if your energy supply is not from a mains source i.e. coal, bottled gas, oil or paraffin, the Consumer Helpline can help you with any problems you may have with your energy costs, including paying for your supplies or  dealing with arrears.

Call free on 0808 223 1133 or use Textphone on 18001 0808 223 1133. Lines are open Monday to Friday, 9am to 5pm. Lines are closed on bank holidays.

Citizens Advice Consumer Helpline
(opens in new window)

Please Note

Another option is to boost your income. Go to our Benefits section to check out your benefit entitlement or go to our Utilities & Switching section to find out what savings you can make by switching suppliers.

You might be able to apply for a charity grant to help sort things out, go to our Grant section to find out more.

Fuel Direct

If you're on certain qualifying benefits, the Fuel Direct scheme allows you to ask the Department of Work and Pensions or your local Job Centre Plus to set up direct payments from your benefits towards your energy bills. You can find full details of Fuel Direct scheme on GOV.UK.